Talking, or lack thereof

Alyssa will be 20 months old in 4 days, and the only word she can say is "mom". Usually it is a scream. She understands everything we say and knows what she wants. But rather than tell us, she points and grunts until we can figure out what it is she wants. I am just wondering if I should look into speech therapy or wait. I don't want to wait to long if she is behind in her speech. I don't know if it's lazy or if there is something really wrong. Because she has her finger in her mouth a lot of the time, she doesn't gibber-jabber like a lot of my other kids did. Maybe that's the problem! So what do you think I should do? Look into it or wait a bit longer before pursuing professional help?

Comments

Enriquez Family said…
Well I think its the finger, but looking into it is an option. You can just have a developmental person come into your home and they test them. Easy Smeasy!Ive done it all!
It never hurts to look into it-even if just for peace of mind.
Mikaela said…
I think you should go with your gut. If you think something is wrong, look into it! I have heard, having no real experience myself, that kids with older siblings can sometimes talk later because the older siblings talk for them. Maybe that is part of her problem? I don't know. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though.
5dollarFanatic said…
I say look into it-you can usually get her tested for free through your school district or even an office may do a free initial exam. We had looked into it for Amber and everyone told us to wait another year (she had just turned 3) so we did-she is in a preschool program that helps children with delays and I wish we could have put her in sooner.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS