TRIALS

We have been preparing for over 4 years for this trial. But nothing, no matter how much you knew it could and most likely would happen, can prepare you when your son's doctor tells you now is the time. "Your son needs open heart surgery."

August 24th, 2005, Jason was born in Las Vegas, NV. He was perfect and healthy looking in every way. At his 2 week check up the doctor heard a heart murmur and recommended I take him to the cardiologist. I mentioned that I was flying out to WA in a few days and so I'd probably go when I got back, 3 weeks later. The cardiologist doctor called me the next day after visiting with the pediatrician, asking me to go in to have Jason checked out. It was late and he was willing to stay after hours for us to get there. After an ultra sound of his heart (echo) the cardiologist diagnosed Jason with a very small hole in his heart. Nothing that needed to be fixed right away, unless it started causing problems. So Jason started going every 3 months, then it turned to every 6 months and then just once a year to having an echo done to make sure that the hole wasn't affecting anything. He has been to 3 different cardiologists with us moving. Las Vegas, Seattle and here in SLC. He has been going to this cardiologist for almost 3 years. So the longest of the 3 doctors.

Today was another routine echo. I left the same time Cameron went to school and dropped off the girls at my neighbors home. My neighbors have been great and always willing to watch my kids during doctor appts. Which have been a lot more regular lately. The echo was at 9 am at Primary Children's Medical Center. During the echo Jason watched Ice Age. The ultra sound lasted the whole movie. A year ago he watched Madagascar during his echo and it lasted the whole time also. Jason is battling a cold and I am pretty sure he has allergies on top of that. So laying down doesn't do to well when you are congested. I was constantly wiping his nose. And he just was super antsy. When the echo tech was done he took the readings to show the cardiologist. About 20 minutes later they both came back and the cardiologist looked again at Jason's heart on the monitor. By this time Jason was ready to be done. I don't blame him. We then waited to hear the results from the doctor, as usual.

The first thing the cardiologist doctor said was "well, you probably know something isn't right if the cardiologist came to take a look at the echo." I really didn't think it was that big of a deal. I just thought that the tech was having a hard time getting a good look at Jason's heart because he was moving so much.

Apparently Jason has muscle bundles developing in the right side of the heart, which is making it hard for the blood to flow. It is a common cause from the hole. But it's something that won't go away, but just get worse. So, they need to go in, take out the muscle bundles and repair the hole. Half day of surgery, 5 days in the hospital.

I did pretty well with talking to the doctor. It was when I got out and called David that I lost it. It was lunch time, so I met him at his work and we took Jason out to McDonald's for a happy meal and ice cream. Of course Jason knew nothing of the tears from me. He got some fun toys at the appointment and a new fleece blanket that was donated that he laid on during the echo that kept him pretty preoccupied, which I was grateful for.

David took off the rest of the day. Jason rode home with him in his truck, which the kids just love. I went and picked up Alyssa at the neighbors. Melanie was already at afternoon kindergarten. When Alyssa ran up to me and gave me a big hug I just started crying again. Times like this makes you hug and kiss your kids a little more. David and Jason went down to the motorcycle shop. I think David thought Jason would like that. While they were gone I set up an allergy appt. for Jason, hopefully to get some answers, and called the insurance to see how much is covered for open heart surgery. Not that it will make our decision, it's just something to help plan for.

My tears came quickly. David did good until he talked to the first person about it over the phone, that wasn't a doctor. He lost it while talking to his friend, Sandy. I think he was being strong for me.

Now is the question of when. The cardiologist recommended within the next 3 months. One major thing coming up, a new baby. So, do we do it in December and try to get it in before the year is over and a new calendar year for insurance rolls over? And do it so I can give my full attention to Jason? Or do we wait until after the baby is born? It's something to pray about. It just breaks my heart to think that my little "Ja-Ja" will be having his chest cut open. Very scary.

Of course I can't help but think of the worst that could happen. I don't know if I could do that. I must have been dreaming of it all last night because I woke up crying and couldn't go back to sleep for a long time. David tried to comfort me. It's the middle of the night when you can't keep your mind preoccupied with the kids and household duties and think of other things that's hard. Yesterday was emotionally draining for us. I feel like this will be a long road.

Comments

Oh Kira I'm so sorry to hear that. You have every right for tears, and mind wanderings. We will definitely keep you in our prayers and know the Lord will watch over you during this time. Keep us posted and let us know however we can help.
Enriquez Family said…
AHHH your killing me Kira! Here I am sitting here holding Damon and just crying my little eyes out! ahhh we love you and im always thinking about you! Im so gratefuk your my sister and best friend! Take care and you know im a phone call away and we can cry together! This will only make you stronger and a better person. Were not given trials we can't withstand. I wish i can something for you. Can i come and take care of the kids when everything goes down?
Jenks Family said…
It is so scary when they are so small and don't know what is going on. Your mom was telling me about it last night. You have it ruff right now with trying to get ready for a new baby. Hang in there.
It's so hard having your child go in for surgery. Carter has had five eye surgeries and we weren't sure if he'd be able to see at all after a couple of them. The doctors at Primary Children's are great and I'm sure they'll take great care of Jason. Just take it one day at a time - that's all you can do. Good luck!
Melissa said…
Oh Kira, I just found out about this today. I guess I am out of the family loop right now. We will be praying for you. Please let us know what we can do. We love you all and especially little Jason.
The McGary's said…
Grandma McGary was telling me about Jason last night! We will keep you guys in our prayers. What a scary thing to go through, wish we were closer to help you out.
sandtreasures said…
Kira & Dave,
We can't even imagine the emotions that go along with such a trial. You are stronger that I would be! We are willing to do anything and everything for your family. Please let us know any updates. You will be in our prayers!
Natalie and Brauch Sandall
marciekoch said…
Kira - I know all about trials and bottom line...trust in God and He will be your strength throughout the situation. You have a great support system - rely on them to encourage you and help you. Thinking of your family...
OH I am so sorry to hear that. We will keep your family and Jason in our prayers. Love you guys!
*~McGarys~* said…
I tried to call you the other day I thought that it would have been nice to talk to ya. I am sure that things will work out great. We love your family and will keep you in are prayers also. If you need to talk I am always here. I wish that we could sit on lawn chairs at the store and chat for an hour like that one time. But I am not that close. BUt I am here for you:)
Mikaela said…
OH wow! What a tough thing to deal with. Whatever you choose to do will be the right answer with prayer. Good luck. I'm thinking of you guys!
Mikaela said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sessions said…
I am so sorry to hear that Kira! You guys are in our prayers!!! I have a nephew that had open heart surgery around 3 and he is just fine now, but I can't imagine being the Mom and watching your perfect child hurt I wish I could be there to help!!!!!!
Deborah Austin said…
Kira you are very strong. Any trial with a child is so so difficult. My heart goes out to you. I know you will be watched over and protected as you make your decisions and as things happen. Hang in there you are a great Mama!
Susanna said…
Kira- How scary! I am so sorry! I really hope that things go good! I'm sure Heavenly Father will bless you through all this.
Hillary said…
Well, Kira, you're in a great place (UT) to have to go through this. Paul had so much success at Primary Childrens and later,LDS Hospital with his open heart surgeries. They will do a great GREAT job and they'll take such good care of Jason. I have all the confidence in the world that this will work out great. I DO know how you're feeling... it's scary. But the anticipation is really the worst part! And you're doing that now! So just think... the worst is almost over.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?