Missionary work in progress

So Melanie has quite a few friends on our street her age that don't go to our church. Either they are another religion or inactive in our church. She has brought up several times while we are gathered for family scripture reading that her friends don't read the scriptures. I know that they do discuss a little about church because I have heard Melanie talking to twin neighbor girls about Jesus and Heavenly Father in our house before. I have suggested to Melanie that she can tell them about Jesus. Well the other day she brings down 2 pass along cards of Jesus and lets me know that when she tells her friends about Jesus, she will show them these cards because they have a picture on it. Today, a neighbor boy was sitting on our couch and Melanie just starts asking her questions. I really had to giggle inside, it was so cute!

Melanie: "Do you know Jesus? I do. Do you know what he looks like?
Here, I have a picture of him (while running for the pass along cards) with the children that love him. He's up in Heaven."

End of conversation. She just cracks me up. No fear whatsoever and I love that about her. She is a confident individual.

On the other hand. Modesty is a work in progress. She has one spaghetti strap shirt to go over a cap sleeve shirt. Several times she has asked to wear the spaghetti strap by itself and I have told her no, that we are modest in this house because Heavenly Father and Jesus want us to be modest with our bodies. Well the other day she said that her friend knew about Jesus and she still wears spaghetti strap shirts only. I told her sorry, not in our house and I would give the shirt away if she wanted to wear it by itself so there was no temptation. Okay, that irks me beyond none else when parents know better!!! I don't think it's the kids decision at this age. Summer, it's a love, hate thing! And I know this is just the beginning of modesty and clothes with her...

Comments

*~McGarys~* said…
Well it sounds like Melanie is a good missionary to all her friends. I know that she had asked me about my tattoo and i told her that it was something that i got before I was apart of the church and she said "Jesus said that we can't do that" lol She's very smart!
As for the clothing it's nice that you are teaching her what is right. There are a few little girls that even go to church wear spaghetti strap dresses. Im sure that someday she will understand a little more. But as for now you sound like your being a good example for children:)
W said…
I'm so glad you are sticking to modesty. Now that we have moved, modesty is not as much as a priority, even with family. It makes it so hard for the kids because the parents are buying the clothes and justifying it to them. I don't get it. I definitely it's more than just clothes, it's an attitude too. And you are doing great with it.
Melanie is so cute. I distinctively remember when I was in first grade and my best friend (Kassen) was in second, and I was too scared to talk to her about church. I invited her to church/activities, and she came to my baptism, but it was still hard, even then! That is amazing that Melanie is so fearless

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS