What to do?!

Oh boy am I sooooo frustrated right now!!! I have come to dread and even HATE dinner time!! I love my children, but sometimes...!!!

I have 1 EXTREMELY PICKY EATER- Cameron. I'm pretty sure that he was born like this. As a baby he never put his hands in his mouth or toys, nothing (And I actually didn't mind that)! When he was 8 months he finally started eating solids and I practically had to force him to eat. He already new what he liked then. ARGGGHHH!!

We usually eat dinner before David gets home since he gets home at such random times at night. So I don't have a reinforcer to help out. I also make just about everything from scratch, so it takes a lot longer than throwing a pre-made dinner in the oven. Nothing like making dinner for over an hour and having your son tell you he doesn't like it without even trying it!!

Tonight I had it and gave in. He wanted bread with butter on it rather than eat a warm dinner. I just gave in 'cause I couldn't stand it any longer to hear him whine that he was hungry. I don't know what's better: make them eat it (tried that), let them starve for the night (tried that), or just get him something else (also have tried)! None of those have solved the problem so maybe it's none of the above?!

Oh I pity his wife!

Comments

The Waters Clan said…
I can oh so relate. My 6 yr old is super picky. Funny thing is when I was pregnant with him we knew a little boy who would eat like 6 things, thats it and my husband and I said "our kid will never be like that". I have learned never say never because that is exactly what we got, and we tried everything in our advantage for him not to be that way. most nights dinner will take him an hour (just to eat 1 taco or 1/2 of a hambarger, ridiculous I know). Sometimes if he helps make it then he eats it alot better (did I mention sometimes). Another thing that helps (sometimes) is letting him know early in the day what we are having and talk to him several times through out the day about it and he tends to eat it better. The thing that drives me the most crazy is that he will eat it sometimes and not others like the other night we had spagetti and he had 3 (small) helpings where any other time we have to threaten his life over 1 serving. the hardest thing is that the pediatrician says don't worry he will eat when he is hungry and he will eventually outgrow it. I have to say he has gotten much better but still could use some improvement. p.s. sorry to write a book but can u tell we r going thru the same thing. we r just so happy that Gracee is not picky what so ever.
*~McGarys~* said…
Your a great mother don't be hard on yourself. i was just like him when I was younger and im still picky. but he will grow out of just wanting bread and butter someday:) till then maybe just kinda give him what he likes or even with us we tell noah thats what we are eating and he kinda gets it. We try hard too and I think that every family has a picky eater. Good luck.
Mikaela said…
I am so glad McKay's not picky at all, but I can imagine your frustration. My mom had some picky eaters, and if we didn't like something, we just got to eat a piece of bread and butter. But we had bread (homemade) with every meal, so I don't know! Have you tried to do the Jessica Seinfeld things where you put veggies and stuff in basic things like pancakes to sneak in vitamins? I'd also just have him take vitamins or whatever and not worry about it! Maybe he'll come around. Sorry I'm not much help at all, but I wouldn't beat yourself up over giving in. You can only do so much with 4 little kids and feeding them alone without your spouse's help!
*~McGarys~* said…
KIRA! Your hair looks amazing! It looks great long!
W said…
I can relate too. I think all of my kids are picky eaters (including my husband). Since my kids are small anyways, I have the doctors telling me that they need to put on more weight. I'm like, I'm trying, but nothing works. Not even making the food look cute works. The only thing that slightly works is letting them starve and then eat when they are ready, but it sure doesn't make me feel good, that or if they could eat junk food. No thanks. You're doing great though. Hang in there. If you find something that works let me know!!
Jenks Family said…
natalie is a picky eater also it makes life really hard. you have to make to meals. i'm hoping that things will change.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS