Yard Overhaul

I was so excited...memorial day weekend=David for 2 whole days!! So what did I have planned? Work that I couldn't do alone. The kind that required a real man. I'll just mention that David did not hold the same excitement as I did when Saturday morning came, but of course being the good husband he is, he got the job done.

First, David went to Home Depot to rent a chain saw, a very dull one I might add. The trees in the back yard weren't standing for long. A very messy apple tree, a cherry tree that didn't produce anything and 4 small, scraggly trees that were in terrible spots. The yard looked so much better, and bigger after taking those out. I won't be picking up rotten apples this year!!

While David was busy getting the chainsaw at home depot, I was busy working on the "rock garden". The rocks are on a small u-shaped hill and buried. I always had to weed eat around them and they were just a pain. I couldn't take it anymore. So the kids and I started digging. I dug and the kids rolled them down the hill. Cameron actually loved it and was out there most of the day with us. Here are the rocks, pre-dug. Just add another 20 and you can imagine!The rocks, with the holes behind.
The next thing on the list was taking out sod and moving it to some dead spots (very large spots) on the grass. So back to Home depot to rent a sod cutter. We got a new lawn mower and it's taller than the last one and so it won't mow under our trampoline anymore. Our tramp is huge and doesn't move easily. So we took out sod for that and also for a new garden!!! Yippee. I really didn't think I'd get a garden this year. I planned on it last year that this would be the year, but we just got really busy.

Yesterday I attempted to "till" the garden with a shovel and a claw looking tool. Yeah, that lasted about 4 hours and only an 1/8 of the garden later I realized I could do this for 2 weeks before it'd be done. So on the way home from work David rented a rotatiller at home depot! That was tons better and it went so quick. Next time, I will forget the shovel and spend the $$!

Here is the finished garden:And the finished ground that the tramp will be over. A black tarp and bark will go on top to keep the weeds out:And the "unfinished" new flower garden:
There is still a lot to do to make it all look nice (curbing). I'm tired and ready to plant the garden and watch it grow and then enjoy the vegetables from our labors!!

There was our exhausting, but productive weekend!

Comments

Enriquez Family said…
WOW! You've been busy too! Its seems so rewarding when its your own, maybe thats why mom liked to work outside and we didnt! It wasnt our own!
The McGary's said…
Looks very good. You have a good size yard. Enjoy your garden:)
W said…
That's so great that you got so much done in your yard. Micah loves yard work! In another life, he would be in landscaping. So I'm excited for when we are able to have a yard. Anna just planted a garden too. I have to say I'm jealous. Good job to both of you.
I love when I get a good weekend from Mike. It doesn't happen very often with work and neighbor projects. It looks great! I bet you can't wait to get veggies and flowers in. Fun!
Wow! You were busy. I am very jealous of you right now-husband working on your house for 2 days, and a yard. Hopefully I won't be too far behind you. It looks like a great size of yard. I love to do yard work.
Susanna said…
Hey- You guys were up to the same thing as us Memerial Day weekend. Your yard looks great. I'm jeolous of the BIG yard. In Arizona, our yards come micro in size.
5dollarFanatic said…
Awesome job--again i hope you post pictures of when it's all finished. I am pretty lucky that my DH loves to do yardwork-last summer when he got home from work he was always outside working on the yard. He's going to go crazy this summer with nothing to do on this apt. Pray that our house sells soon-or I will have a very big case of boredom on my hands.
*~McGarys~* said…
Looks great. I can't wait to see what happens to the Garden that Alise and I planted. Im hoping for something good:) I wish that we had a home Depot closer to are house it would make things so much faster. But with Alises muscles and my tummy we got it done. We are hoping that the things that I already had growing (tomato and onion) will keep thriving.! We will see:) I was also thinking that if you and the kids wanted to come up sometimes this summer we could due a camp out in are yard with a fire, BBQ and games along with tents? It would be fun.
Deborah Austin said…
Good Job you guys it looks great!
Scott and Kelli said…
You guys did a lot of work. Its always nice to be able to sit back and look at the final product, and know that you worked so hard! It will be fun to have a garden!
Ashley Harris said…
Good for you! I am sure it will be great when you get it all done!
5dollarFanatic said…
My sis-in-law makes the bows I have posted on my blog. It can be a little confusing since we have the same last name and all-people thinking that I am the one making them. She gets all of the credit.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS