Strawberry Shortcake

Yesterday the kids were talking over the different things they wanted to be for Halloween. So I looked online to see what was available and where. I was also trying to entice a different costume for Cameron than what he had in mind. He wanted to be a crocodile. I was hoping he would choose a super hero of some sort because I knew all of his friends would be wearing something like that. And also, there were no sizes large enough for him as a crocodile. So he saw a power ranger's costume that he liked and so did Jason.

Melanie was a different story. She wanted to be Strawberry Short Cake and was pretty adamant about that. Last year she was a witch and the year before a fairy so those weren't an option for her. The costume for Strawberry Short Cake came too small and so after looking at the outfit I thought I could make it. I thought it'd be no problem finding the material. After all, Halloween fabric is all over. So we went first to Target and bought the boys' costumes with no problems. I thought this will be easy. A trip to Jo Ann's and then I can start sewing. Did I mention that Melanie had a birthday party today? A costume birthday party. So I was on a deadline.

We stopped at Walmart just to see what they had and got some much need bread. Then went over to the Costume store and found green striped tights. Then went to Jo Ann's. I fed the kids bread before walking in for a quick snack. I know, creative! I found the green fabric I needed right as I walked in. Now, where is pink fabric with red polka dots? I looked everywhere in that store. I could totally envision it in my mind, why couldn't I find it? Okay, so maybe pink fabric with dark pink polka dots. Nada. No polka dot fabric other than cotton which I would of settled for except the polka dots were all white. So I got my green fabric cut after waiting in line for about a 1/2 hour. Seems like this is the season to sew? Stood in another line to pay and then left. By this time it was 2 pm.

No lunch=cranky kids=cranky mama.

So we came home and while the kids ate I called to all of the fabric stores I could think of. Again, nada. So I thought I would just run over to Hancocks and MAYBE they would have it. Nope, less selection than Jo Ann's. So back to Jo Ann's. I had to find SOMETHING!! I settled on a pink fabric and bought red fabric thinking I would cut out my own polka dots. Finally came home at 6 pm. Quickly fed the kids leftovers from the night before and then started. First cut. Then started to sew. Then realized my needle was to big for the dainty fabric I was using. Thank goodness Walmart is open 24 hrs! Got back at 10pm and worked on that thing. David stayed up with me the whole time. I was showing him the costume online and he suggested I buy the wig. I guess if I sewed more, I wouldn't be so slow. At 2:30 I finished. By then it was like "bag the polka dots! I'm going to bed!" I just hoped it would fit. It looked small to me. So in the morning Melanie tried it on and it was perfect!! I ordered the pink wig and will finish the hat today and probably the bag next week. When I told David I ordered the wig he asked why. I told him he said I could. I guess the late night hazed his thinking because he said he didn't mean it. Oh well, I figure this costume will go through at least 3 girls. It 's worth it. I put dots on Melanie's face for freckles and blush. She had fun and is excited to get the rest of the costume. She will get to wear her costume at least 3 more times, for the church party, school parade and Halloween night. The boys are excited to wear their costumes also. These things are so much fun for kids!

Comments

Enriquez Family said…
Looks CUTE! I know we think ah it will be easy to make the costumes and ALAS! Lots og trips to the store and lots of head thinking! But I love to make myself crazy I think! haha!
Mikaela said…
I think it turned out so cute! Great job, and the watch is darling, too!
Wow!!! YOu are one crative and GREAT mom. I really need to start trying more with my creative juices. She looks darling and I can't wait to see the wig and hat on top. How fun!
smcgary said…
Great memories for Mom & Melanie. I'm impressed with your talents, Kira. Do you need a nap? I love Mel's watch!


Love,
Mom
The McGary's said…
sheesh! I am impressed you whipped that out so quickly. If only I had such a creative mind. It is very cute.
marciekoch said…
That's awesome Kira! :) How fun for Melanie. My best friend in elementary school's Mom always made her Halloween costumes and I was ALWAYS jealous!! She'll be the cutest one - as if she isn't already!

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS