Great Day!

I was so happy at the end of today!! I had a clean home (mostly) and my kids were so happy, which always makes me happy. I don't know why today was different than other days, but it was. Things just went smoother, the kids were content to play with each other and not beg, beg, beg to play with neighbor friends, and I was a lot more patient. I think it had a lot to do with listening to all of the uplifting and motivating talks this last weekend for conference. I love conference weekend!! I don't know why one session was enough for me when I was younger, but I love ALL 4 sessions and feel like I really miss out if I can't hear them all.

Tonight for Family Home Evening we had a "missionary night". It was so great!! I got the idea from Candace Nielson (thank you!) David started out talking about his mission and serving in Chile. We got a map off the internet of the world so the kids could see where Chile is. David read his mission call and showed them pictures of some of his mission. Then we gave each of the kids (except Alyssa) their own typed up mission call and name tag. They were so excited to open it and see where they were going and then look on the world map where it was. Cameron was going to Moscow, Russia. Melanie was going to Paris, France. Jason was going to Beijing, China! It was so cute when we helped them read it we were just as excited (almost) as if it were a real mission call!! We were screaming and hugging and acting so excited for them. The kids of course loved that! Then David told them that this week was missionary week and asked the kids to find missionary experiences and opportunities to share the gospel. Also, missionaries have rules. So our rules for a week are no t.v. (have to call the mission president, dad, to get permission), scripture reading morning and night, we can listen to church music, and companionship-Cameron and Jason, Melanie and Mom. Should be a fun and interesting week. I think it'll be a great experience for our family.

Comments

What a fun night! I'm glad you used the idea. You really took it a step farther though and I love it. You have such a cute little family and I'm hoping one day we are in the same place at the same time and I will get to see them all in person. I hope you have as great of week as yesterday was. Conference always gives me a boost for a while.
Enriquez Family said…
So sound like the media blackout when we little? remeber we hated so much? What a fun experience. I love it! Can't wait for you guys to come here. We defenitly can't atay indoors all day. We gotta go to the park and play also.
5dollarFanatic said…
That is such a great idea...I am going to have to use it sometime. Whitney is always asking me about missions and why there aren't more girl missionaries. YOu will have to let me know how it goes without t.v. I really try to limit-but sometimes it's easier than listening to them fight over toys.
Deborah Austin said…
What a great idea!!! What a way to get them excited about missions. I do agree conference was wonderful!
W said…
I love that idea for FHE!! What fun. We'll have to try that when my kids are a little older.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS