CrAzY, insane, OCD

Take your pick.

Rewind to October, 2009. I am looking online for blessing dresses to get ideas to make one. Well, I find it. The perfect one that I fell in LOVE with! It was at JCPenney's. So I took a picture on my phone and went to LOTS of stores with the picture to find the fabric. I guess I should take note for myself that this is the 2nd time seeing a fabric online and not being able to find it. The first being the Strawberry Short Cake costume. Obviously JoAnn's doesn't have the "specialty" fabric I am looking for. I DID find the same idea in the home decor fabrics, but there wasn't any in white. You couldn't even special order in white.

So I got side tracked with making stockings for Christmas. It curbed my sewing crave for the time. Christmas came and went. Jenna is here. I have never sewed a blessing outfit AFTER my babies have been born. I am so excited I have always had them done way before! I never will do it after again, if there is another "AFTER". No TIME!! So I finally got a chance to go to the fabric store. I had decided I was going to go, find some good fabric I liked and make something totally different than what I fell in love with on Penney's website. Anyone would probably say "Just buy the darn dress and be done with it!" I love to make their blessing dresses though. So, no, not an option for me.

Of course as I'm browsing, looking through the meager (and I mean meager) options of patterns, I finally gave in! I was going to make that fabric I couldn't find. And if I couldn't make it, at least I had tried. Then I would come up with plan B! So I bought white satin, white lining and 2 rolls of elastic thread. Did you know there was such a thing as elastic thread? I didn't until a few months ago. You wind it only in your bobbin. Cool huh!

I have waited patiently to start this project. Lots of practice on scrap fabric using the elastic thread. I went to find the dress again on Penney's to get a better look at the fabric and figuring out the best way to accomplish my goal. And guess what! The dress is gone! Not on there! It's a good thing I took pictures on my cell phone and I could go back to those! Not a great quality, but it worked good enough.

So, the process. First, measure out every 6 inches and thread string through to mark. Take a deep breathe...and sew.
And sew some more. Something so fulfilling about creating something!

Crazy, insane, ocd. Probably ALL 3. BUT...I got the look I wanted and I LOVE it!
Now, I can cut out the pattern!

Comments

marciekoch said…
Kira, I'm not even going to ask how you do everything you do. You're amazing and that technique is BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see pictures of Jenna in it. So talented...
smcgary said…
Unbelievable! I can't believe I gave birth to you. :) You are amazing. (Oh, and the picture of Alyssa dancing- hilarious!) This was worth waiting an hour for the page to load. You gotta love dial-up!

Love,
Mom
*~McGarys~* said…
It is soooo AMAZING! Your mom told be what you were going to do and I couln't belive it. But it looks so good. I can't wait to see the finished dress.
Sessions said…
Hey kira Bonnie wants you to add her to your blog here is her e-mail address yobatey@hotmail.com. Your baby is beautiful just like the others but I wouldn't expect anything else with you being her Mom and David to.
Sessions said…
The dress is beautiful!!!! You are an inspiration, and I am not kidding! I get so tired just reading your blog sometimes thinking about how much energy you must have to to everything you do.
The McGary's said…
That is amazing! I love it, can't wait to see the finished project.
Jenks Family said…
I can't wait to see the project all done. Your brave, I wish I had that talent
HOLY COW!!! Way to go. YOu are so brave and your kids will love it and appreciate it so much one day. Glad there are people like you with talent!
Bonnie said…
Hey girl! Its so fun to read your blog and see what you have been upto lately. Your kids are adorable and I cant believe you have 5!! Seems like everything is going so good for you guys. I look forward to staying in touch and please call me if your ever in St. George.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS