Remembering…

I thought I had a lot more pictures of Grandma.  Sad I don’t.  Either we didn’t use the camera much or because she lived so close it wasn’t a big deal to pull out the camera?? 

I wanted to write down the things I remember doing with Grandma growing up.

Grandma always

*was the life of the party.

*made homemade ice cream every Sunday night.  I remember many times playing no bears out tonight at their house.  She always brought her family together!

*came to our school performances.

*was loud!  I will never forget “DON!”

*wanted to know the latest in our life.  She was always in on the “know”.  When David and I were dating she would refer to him as “that boy”.

Grandma was:

*my bus driver.  I guess she was pretty much everyone’s bus driver.  She always handed out candy.  I remember when she used to park her bus in her drive way, get out and go in her house to get more candy!

*my grandma that lived just down the road.  We always went down to visit and she always knew when we were home or not.  She would make the comment many times “where were you last night?” or “What were you doing getting home so late?”   

*my part time employer!  I used to mow their lawn for $5 a week.  They had such a big yard it took 2 hours to mow on the riding lawn mower!

*a great example of hard work!  She was always cooking in her kitchen for herself, a party or a meal for someone.  They would plant a HUGE garden every summer.  Last summer Grandpa was telling me (with a laugh) that they were going to plant less than they did the year before and before they knew it they had over 100 tomato plants in their garden!  I was the recipient of many tomatoes from those plants in the fall!

*The candy grandma!  Always candy in their house.  Kids knew where the stash was and if there wasn’t one kind on the front table she would say “Don, go get some more candy back there” pointing to the back room.

*a story teller!  I could sit in her house for hours talking to her!

*known to talk on the phone.  If someone wasn’t at her house chatting, she was on the phone chatting!

This picture was taken at Grandparents day.  I don’t know the year.  I am guessing 4th grade for me since that is when Jilayne and Chad came from Mesa to Basin City.

grandparents day 001

Seth, Jilayne, Me, Tammy, Brian, Chad

grandma at spokane temple 001

In front of the Spokane, WA temple.  Grandpa and Grandma served a mission overseeing the construction.  Taken my senior year.

I think it is the unwavering testimony, some stubbornness and perseverance that all of Grandma and Grandpa’s children are faithful in the gospel.  They have set a great example to their posterity by LIVING the gospel.  I still can’t believe Grandma is gone.  I will miss her.  She was a great listener and very fun to chat with when I would go to WA.  I am glad I got those 3 weeks in October to really get to visit.  It wasn’t a rushed vacation and my kids and I went down a lot when we got bored.  I will cherish that time we spent with her.  But although I miss her, I am glad she is finally pain free.   

Comments

Enriquez Family said…
See!!! Why can't I think of all these memories when I wrote something! I rememeber all those clearly! I am not a good writer! I still think its wierd that shes gone too! Not going to be the same!
The McGary's said…
What great memories you have! She was such a wonderful lady, get togethers will definitely be different without her:)
We're all going to miss her. I laughed so hard about the "Don" comment. If that isn't true. :) And I might have to tease Brian about his pants in that picture.
I am so glad you girls are writing down your memories. I love reading them.

Popular posts from this blog

Our New Family Pictures

How close have you been to a Prophet?

TRIALS